THINGS TO DO WHEN YOU GO AWAY |
Equally applicable for weekends, as well as longer periods away
- Check that your building and contents insurance are up to date. Many householders fail to take out contents insurance because it is perceived to be too expensive or a waste of money. It is important. Neighbourhood Watch schemes usually can obtain a discount.
- Fit plug-in time controls for lamps and light. Burglars are then uncertain if you are in or away.
- Ask a neighbour, friend or family to close and open your curtains, or leave a vehicle parked in the drive at certain times of the day or night. Again this helps to give the impression that you are not away.
- Use UV markers (available from me on request) to mark your valuable assets in the house.
- Ensure that a friend or family member collects your mail and junk papers/ flyers on a regular basis. Uncollected mail often indicates that you are away on holiday or business.
- Cancel the milk and papers.
- If you are going away for any period of time notify neighbours, friends and family and provide a key for emergencies.
- If you have an alarm/monitoring system facility notify the monitoring company.
- Write down the hotel/resort/flight details and give this information to neighbours, friends or family in event of an emergency
- Ensure that credit cards/travellers cheques details have been written down separately to where you are carrying then. In the event of theft, you will be able to quickly cancel cards/cheques and have replacements made available.
- Photograph and catalogue all expensive items, which you are taking on holiday (jewellery/cameras etc). In the event of theft you can quickly achieve payment from an insurance company.
Sergeant Annette Anderson
Neighbourhood Watch Manager
Tel 020 8649 4021